Skip to content

PhD Guide

Information for EU and EEA citizens

Text title

This information is for international degree-seeking PhD students. If you need further information, you can contact the PhD Office (, +39 0471 012815).


Individual tax code

The Italian individual tax code is what you need to identify yourself when dealing with Italian public offices and institutions. If you have not applied for it at the nearest Italian embassy/consulate in your country, in order to obtain this tax code, you have to request it to the “Agenzia delle Entrate” (Italian Revenue Agency) with a valid passport or ID card.

You can do this in two ways:

You must have obtained your Italian individual tax code in order to:

  • Complete your enrolment at our University (you can also get the code after you have enrolled provisionally)
  • to get your PhD scholarship
  • to buy the public transportation pass

You have to submit your tax code to the Student Secretariat as soon as you get it.

Further information can be found on the Italian Revenue Agency’s website.

Registering with the local authorities

Italian law states that all EU citizens who wish to stay in another EU country for longer than 90 days can register with the city/town authorities in which they wish to live. This does not mean that you must relinquish your residency in your own country.

As an EU student in Italy you can register your temporary residence in Italy.

In order to do that, after you have lived for at least 4 months in Italy, you must go to the Registry Office (Anagrafe) in the city/town where you are living during your studies (Bozen-Bolzano, Brixen-Bressanone, or Bruneck-Brunico) with specific documents (ID and others).

If you are living in Bozen-Bolzano you can find out what you need to send via e-mail by looking on the official webpage of the Registry Office. If instead you study (and live) in Brixen-Bressaone or in Bruneck-Brunico, please contact the responsible office there to find out exactly what you need to take with you.

Please be advised that many registry offices will ask you to show them that you have health cover through your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

If instead you want to move your fix residency to Italy, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is not enough. You can get in touch with the PhD Office for more information.

Health Cover

There are three options for EU citizens for your health cover in Italy.

It is your own national health service that decides which documents to give you and therefore which options apply to you.

Cover through the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

If you have the EHIC that is issued by your country, you have the right to any treatment that is necessary during the time you’re studying in Italy.

All you have to do is go to the doctor/place that provides the treatment (GP, Accident and Emergency, Out-patient department). If you go to a GP, you can see them for free, but this is on an occasional basis.

The cost of the treatment will then be charged to your own health care provider abroad.

This is the preferable option.

Cover through the S1 or E106, E109/E37 foreign insurance policies

You have to go to the health authorities in your own country and ask them to issue you one of the policies listed above. These policies will enable you to register for health cover in South Tyrol as if you were an Italian citizen.

With one of these policies:

  • you can choose your family doctor/GP
  • you can seek assistance at Accident and Emergency at a hospital and you’ll only have to pay the standard price (the so-called “ticket”)
  • you can access all planned specialist services
  • you can access all services for preventative medicine
  • you don’t have to pay for the services of the duty doctor, if needed
  • if you are a resident: you can access any discounts that may be due to you and any exemptions on the standard prices of medicines or appointments with specialists (the “ticket”)

Cover though Italian private health insurance schemes or private foreign health insurance, instead of the EHIC or the S1 policy

You can also buy a private health insurance that will cover you for all accidents you may have and treatment you may need during the time you’re studying in Italy. In this case, you will be regarded as a “paying foreign citizen” and as such you do not need to register for the local health service.

One of the cheapest one is the one offered by Welcome Association Italy. You can buy it online by registering on WAI’s website. You can either buy a 6-month insurance (for €152) or a 12-month one (for €212). After you bought your insurance, you can log in and download the certificate and the information on how to use it.


If you do not have the EHIC, or you do not have health cover in your own country and you do not want to take out private insurance

The Italian Health Ministry, in an information bulletin from 19 February 2008, has stated that EU citizens who do not have the EHIC, who do not have health cover from their own countries and who do not have private health insurance only have the right to urgent treatment or treatment that cannot be postponed.

If you do not have any type of health cover, it is advisable to stay in an EU country that isn’t yours for a maximum of three months only. Furthermore, in this situation, you will not be able to register with the local council for the duration of your studies.

Opening a bank account

If you want to organize your finances while you are studying here or if you get a scholarship, you need a European bank account (IBAN). We suggest you have a look at the deals being offered by the different banks and open an account immediately after the enrolment or when you have requested for your resident permit.

If the bank requires a certificate, you can download a self-declaration autonomously.