Skip to content

PhD Guide

Medical Assistance

Non-local students will find on this page all the relevant information about medical assistance in case they need it during their study period in Italy. If you are a local student, we suggest you to contact your general practitioner and/or the relevant health service for further medical information.

If you have any questions or need more information, please get in touch with the Student Support (, +39 0471 012900).


Italian citizens

All Italian citizens are entitled to a general practitioner in the place where they establish their residence.

If you are a non-local student, you have three options during your studies:

Maintaining your general practitioner in your place of residence without moving your residence to South Tyrol

If, during your stay at unibz, you need a medical check-up or require medication prescription, you can keep your general practitioner in your place of residence and contact them directly for free basic medical care. This is the preferred and easier option.

Consulting a general practitioner in a different place than your place of residence

Without having to present any special documents and without giving up your general practitioner in your place of residence, you may, if necessary, consult a general practitioner in the place where you study. In this case, you will have to pay a fee for the medical examination (€ 15.00 for the ambulatory examination or € 25.00 for a home visit plus an additional fee for specific further medical services). At the end of the visit, you will have to pay the fee directly at the doctor's clinic and you will receive a receipt. You may then contact the Local Health Care Provider (Azienda Sanitaria Locale - ASL) of your home region to ask for a refund.

General Practitioners available

Applying for a general practitioner in the place where you study

This third choice implies giving up the general practitioner in the place where you have your residence (but not necessarily moving the residence itself). It is the recommended option only if you have to visit the doctor frequently and/or if your general practitioner "at home" cannot issue prescriptions or referrals online or if these are not sufficient.

EU and EEA citizens

Students holding a EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) do not need to register with the Italian National Health Service. The EHIC allows free access to health care in Italy. The potential costs of the visit/medical services are charged directly to the competent health care provider in your home country.

If you need to visit a general practitioner during your period of study, remember to bring the EHIC with you.

General practitioners available

If you do not have a EHIC but have another health insurance policy (S1 or foreign insurance policies E106, E109/E37 or other private insurances), we suggest you contact your insurance provider to check what papers you must submit to receive reimbursement for any treatment you may need during your studies in Italy. More information about the services provided by these insurances in Italy can be found on the page dedicated to EU and EEA citizens.

Non-EU citizens

The subscription of a health insurance policy is mandatory to apply for the issuance/renewal of a residency permit.

If you do not have private health insurance, you can buy one on your arrival in Italy. One of the cheapest is the one offered by Welcome Association Italy covering all medical emergencies also through a 24-hour remote medical service. In case you want to obtain non-mandatory health cover and have your own family doctor for the period of your studies, visit the page dedicated to all Information for non-EU citizens.